Church of the Advent, Devils Lake
The Church of the Advent
6th & 5th Avenue
PO Box 703
Devils Lake, ND 58301
The Rev. Christian Senyoni, Canon Missioner
The Church of the Advent is a beautiful native field stone structure seating approximately 90 People and measuring 25 feet by 80 feet. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1886 with the Rt. Rev. Bishop Walker officiating at the ceremony. Farmers hauled stones in by horse and wagon to use on the church. The building was completed in October of the same year.
The church was named “The Church of the Advent” in recognition of the fact that Episcopal Churches, particularly the Sunday school classes, in the Philadelphia area, gathered much of the funding for its construction during the season of Advent. The original cost of the building was $2,700.
The Church of the Advent is the only “original edifice” of that period still serving its congregation in Devils Lake. On June 20, 2002 the Church of the Advent was placed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Holy Eucharist – 11:00 am on the fourth Sunday of the month; Morning Prayer – 11:00 am on all other Sundays