Diocesan Discernment Task Force (DDTF) Final Report and Documents
Please scroll down the page for the Report and Addendums
DDTF Final Report to Convention
This Final Report of the DDTF is for members of the diocese to review and discuss. This is especially true for Delegates to the Diocesan Convention in October. In addition to the Report there are excellent addendum items that enhance the report’s recommendations. The DDTF recommends reading this material in this order and priority:
- The DDTF Final Report to Diocesan Convention – shows the complete thinking of the DDTF for the next 3-5 years.
- The Rev. Joe Hubbard’s Report: Reimagining the Church in North Dakota: Towards Communities of Discipleship through an Incarnational Episcopate – shows what other dioceses in an Episcopal transition have done, gives a theological rational for change and lays out options for moving forward. This report was commissioned by the DDTF.
- Amy Phillips and Dan Rice’s Financial Report: Summary of 2019 Income, Assets, and Expenses of the Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota – shows the scope of the diocese’s financial situation and makes a case for using those resources now, during this time of transition. This report was commissioned by the DDTF.
- Carmine Goodhouse and John Baird’s: A Brief History of the Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota – shows the complexity and wonder of how we came to be in this place of opportunity and challenge. We are different people with different experiences with the same faith that God loves us and is walking with us.
- Historical Actions by the Diocese – shows how the diocese has done similar studies over the last 20 years and put forth plans… but here we are again. Let’s do it differently this time.
All congregations, their leadership and their delegates to the Diocesan Convention are encouraged to become familiar with this material and to discuss the DDTF’s recommendations. With that foundation, the Diocesan Convention will be able to act upon the report and move us forward into a new way of being The Church. NOTE: All of this material has been reviewed and approved by the Standing Committee and the Diocesan Council.
The Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota
The Enabling Resolution
by the DDTF for Diocesan Convention
RESOLVED, that the 50th Annual Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota accept the report created by the Diocesan Discernment Task Force (DDTF) as adopted by the Standing Committee and Diocesan Council, and adhere to the plan laid out by the DDTF for the diocese.
EXPLANATION: On October 20th, 2018, at the 48th Annual Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota, Bishop Michael Smith announced his plans to resign on May 1st, 2019. This announcement sent the diocese into an interim period of discernment. During this period, the Diocesan Discernment Task Force (DDTF) was created and tasked with discerning What God is up to in North Dakota and to report their findings to the Standing Committee, Diocesan Council, and the Convention by the 50th Annual Convention in 2020.
After diligent data gathering and discernment, through pandemic and fierce North Dakota winter, the DDTF presented their final report to a joint meeting of the Standing Committee and Diocesan Council on Saturday, August 22nd, 2020. The Standing Committee and Diocesan Council fully support this resolution.
Author: Joshua Floberg, member of DDTF – Resolution Passed at Diocesan Council
Diocesan Discernment Task Force (DDTF)
FINAL REPORT TO DIOCESAN CONVENTION
The Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota
If you have any questions or feel that the DDTF needs to “hear your voice” please be in touch with John Baird, Chair of the DDTF at email@example.com. We will keep you posted about our progress through The Sheaf.